Friday, February 10, 2006

Start diggin' the groove

Lets talk music... I kinda said that I would put info on music so here it is.

My Music
I did my first gig 1999 for school. I played at our yr 11/12 dance. A couple of us did this with a bunch of MP3s a couple of computers and a sound system to blow clothes off. At the time it was the biggest sound setup the school had hired. This was because we saved money on the DJ. At least that was I recall. But that was not a real DJ gig.
After I graduated I went out and bought a pair of turntables with a crappy little mixer (all which I still have). This will be on eBay as soon as I make it big...may be a while at the rate I'm currently travelling. It was pretty sudden. All I had was a bunch of really cheesy records but hell I made the most of it. Let me tell you, beat mixing bad 80s music to even worse 80s music is a skill mastered by few.
From there on any money I had to spend pretty much went into buying records. I need to make this ECONOMICAL. What's a genre which never fades and everyone enjoys. FUNK! I reckon I have nearly all the James Brown tracks on vinyl. Bobby Bird, Kool & the Gang, Parliament, George Clinton, Bootsy and Funkadelic were my staple. From there it went on to Disco. DISCO!!! Soul Disco, 80s Disco, Disco House any Disco that had some groove. But it had to have GROOVE! Long story short, I have a few records.
My real Djing gigs started in about 2000 I did my first gig at the former Mojo West on Hindley St Adelaide. Paid a full $30 an hour. AWESOME!!! At the time... that 30 went straight into buying another record. Soon I was playing regularly there and the pay went up too.

As I tried to get more gigs I changed my music style and added, hip hop, jazz, soul, house and electro.

I have wide range of music taste. But the common theme across my music taste is the groove. Its either a groove that makes you get up and shake your tail feather or something that sits you back to chill-lax. And intelligent music too. Not doof doof doof, four on the floor with no chords, no backing. Thats not real music in my opinion.

Help me dig that groove
Ok so if you want to hear a few tunes that display my definiton of groove try these:

Bill Withers - Just the 2 of us and
Use me
Zhane - Hey Mr DJ
Cerrone - Hooked on you
Ozomatli - Cut Chemist Suite
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
George Benson - In the Ghetto
Jamiroquai - Mr Moon
David Bendeth - Feel the real
James Brown - Funky president
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Prince - Money don't matter tonigh
Mr Big - To be with you
Eagles - Hotel California

And it goes ON and ON.. but theres a taste. Most of these are fairly well known ones and pretty easy to find. As you can see, no SPECIFIC genre. Check them out... have a listen if you don't know them. Let me know if you dig that groove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home